Thursday 22 March 2012

Kids stuff we have to take!

I've spent a couple of days writing a list of what we need to take. It's been hard deciding what we need vs. what we want! I've also tried to assign a location to each item - in the Prorack basket on top of the car, in the drawbar toolbox, in the storage box or kitchen in the trailer, or in the car. We have to allow for things like a pusher and booster seat, dog food and study equipment that many others travelling Australia probably don't need to consider.

I decided on a Valco Tourer Toddler buggy board for behind the pusher for times when Hamish gets tired while we're out and about. This clips onto one of the lower bar on the pusher so he can be pushed along as well.





I also have my very favourite baby accessory - the Ergo baby carrier! I can carry Matilda on my front, back or side while having two hands free. It is SOOOO comfortable, spreading the weight nicely, and I never end up with a sore back or shoulders. The added bonus is that she loves being in it and is a guaranteed settling tool when she's cranky! It's rated up to 18kgs, though I think I'd have to be desperate to consider carrying Hamish in it.
I also looked into feeding restraint options for Matilda. We already have a fairly compact swing tray booster seat similar to this:




Doing some research, I came across these Totseats. They would be perfect IF they fit over a camp chair and were made of some sort of PVC or similar for ease of cleaning.




If this was just a short trip, we could have just used the pusher to feed her, but as a more permanent setup I think it would be horrible - too messy and probably end up sticky and smelly. Booster seat it is!

For their sleeping arrangements, Hamish will be on a single camp stretcher with a mat on top to keep the cold out and make it more comfortable. We'll have his doona as well - he doesn't sleep well in a sleeping bag, though we'll have the sleeping bag in case he needs it or if Stookie decides a bike camping trip is in order. We had a conventional portacot which, as people who've had them would know, are very heavy and bulky. For Matilda, we've ditched the bulk and bought a Kinderkot. Dutch designed, they weigh only 3kg and come in their own little carry bag about the size of a serving platter, and include a self-inflating mattress and a sleeping bag and sheet to fit the shape. I'm so pleased with it!! Takes a minute (literally!) to set up and maybe 2 minute to pack it all away.




We still need to source organisers for the back of our car seats, where I'm hoping I can put most of their books and small toys. Something similar to this looks perfect!



Last week I bought a stash of MCNs (modern cloth nappies). We'll be able to wash these easily enough and will minimise our environmental impact (i.e. stinky rubbish!!). After much research, I decided to buy 20 Hippybottomus Bamboo Charcoal nappies. Bamboo charcoal is antibacterial, helps prevent smells, stays dry against the skin and feels really soft. They seem to be less bulky than many other nappies I've tried and seen, so I hope they are comfortable for Matilda. I've started toilet training Hamish this week in the hope he'll be daytime trained by the time we leave. In case he's not, these nappies will (just!) fit him. One of my requirements with choosing a suitable nappy was that both kids would be able to wear them - that really limited my options (as well as price...some nappies are expensive!).




I think we have the kid's essentials sorted!! I'm really pleased with the decisions I've made with these items, though time will tell....

Lil :)

2 comments:

  1. For Matilda's eating, did you come across something like http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NIB-Zooper-Hook-Chair-Red-High-Chair-Booster-/290661844906 ??

    We have one and it's great. The side arms swing sideways, making it reasonably flat and easy to handle when not in use. Would need to put onto a reasonable strong table though, not a light PVC table, as it would topple over with the weight attached to one side. Ours is plastic seating for easy wipe and hose off :) I think it's going into our garage sale items for this weekend, so would be quite cheap too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about one of those a while ago, but decided that it would only really work if we were at a park table. Wouldn't work with the table we have and I don't think I'd trust any of the light weight camping tables to hold her. I do like how compact they are though!

      Delete